This is a straightforward but delicious curry recipe. Serve with rice or flat bread. Serves 4.
- 450g/1lb potatoes, washed
- 3tbsps cooking oil
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tsp mustard seeds
- 1tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 227g can of tomatoes
- 600ml/1 pint water
- 100g/4oz cashew nuts
- Boil the potatoes in their skins for 15 minutes; drain; allow to cool slightly, then peel and chop into cubes.
- Heat the oil in a pan; add the cumin and mustard seed. As soon as the seeds pop, add the coriander, chilli and turmeric and cook for 1 minute, before stirring in the tomatoes.
- Cook for a few minutes before adding the water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and stir in the potatoes and nuts.
- Simmer for 30 minutes until the nuts are tender.
Tip: Put a lid over the pan whilst frying the seeds so they don’t fly around the kitchen as they pop!