This is a lovely soup to serve with toasted cheese for a warming supper. If serving like this then leave out the grated cheese from the recipe.
- 200g/7oz chestnuts, cooked and peeled (available ready prepared and vacuum packed at the NFS)
- 400g/14oz tin butter beans (or dry beans soaked and cooked till soft)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1.2 ltrs/2 pints vegetable bouillon
- Ground black pepper
- Emmental cheese grated, 1 tbsp for each bowl
- Place all the ingredients (except the cheese) in a large pan.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Purée the soup until smooth; season to taste.
- Serve hot sprinkling each bowl of soup with the grated cheese.
Peeled and chopped squash or sweet potato can be used instead of the chestnuts. For a spicy change add some grated ginger root, or a half teaspoon of dried chilli flakes. You can also garnish with chopped parsley or coriander leaves, or add a swirl of crème fraiche just before serving.